Are you like most people? Are you concerned you’re going to apply with the wrong life insurance company? Selecting the wrong company can mean higher rates or worse – a decline in coverage. It’s common for people to work with an agent or agency that only works with one life insurance company. When working with LifeInsuranceBlog, you get access to the best life insurance companies – We have access to over 60! This allows us to find the right companies for your specific situation and provide you the best life insurance for Muscular Dystrophy.
The Best Life Insurance for Muscular Dystrophy
When a client contacts us with a preexisting health condition, we take the time to ask the right questions. We gather specific information that life insurance companies will be looking for when the conduct their official underwriting. Every company looks at your situation differently – some companies are more strict than others. When you have Muscular Dystrophy, you can be declined from some companies. Don’t panic. This isn’t the case with every company, but it will depend on how severe your health is. Based on your health, you may have traditional term life insurance options or you may have to opt for a Final Expense policy.
Muscular Dystrophy 101
Muscular Dystrophy is a disease of the skeletal muscular system. It causes structural or functional changes in the muscular system. Muscular Dystrophy exhibits some typical symptoms such as weakness in the arms &/or the legs. However, this weakness does not necessarily mean a loss of sensation or reflexes will occur. This muscle weakness may be constant or sporadic.
Additional symptoms can include poor balance and frequent falling. A loss of muscle mass, a decreased ability to walk, and changes in gait. Also, an overall limitation in motor movements and contractures and deformation of joints may occur. A curvature of the spine as well as eyelids that droop may occur.
It is best if your Muscular Dystrophy is managed and diagnosed early. It is a chronic and progressive health condition which can manifest into tissue and muscle cell death.
The most severe types of Muscular Dystrophy is Duchenne muscular dystrophy, Congenital muscular dystrophy, Limb-girdle muscular dystrophy, and Emery-Dreifuss muscular dystrophy. With these types of muscular dystrophy, it will be more difficult to provide multiple life insurance options. This is because these types typically have a shorter lifespan. You may only have a Final Expense or Guaranteed Issue policy as an option. With some companies you will be denied altogether.
The following are 5 types of muscular dystrophy that typically don’t have a shorter lifespan. They are Myotonicmuscular dystrophy, Oculopharyngeal muscular dystrophy, Distal, Becke muscular dystrophyr and Facioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophy.
Applying for Life Insurance with Muscular Dystrophy
Life insurance companies are always assessing risk before they will offer you a policy. Each company will be looking for answers to certain question. Each company will want to know some general health questions as well as specific health information. Now every company has unique underwriting criteria and this provides consumers opportunities. This is especially important when it comes to high risk life insurance.
When it comes to applying for life insurance with muscular dystrophy, most companies will want to know the following:
Typical Life Insurance Questions
- What is your Height and Weight?
- Your Age?
- Your Gender?
- Do you use Tobacco?
- Are you Married?
- Do you participate in Dangerous Activities
- Will you be Traveling to a Dangerous Country?
Life Insurance Questions for Muscular Dystrophy
- When was your muscular dystrophy diagnosed? If you muscular dystrophy was diagnosed early on and your symptoms have been managed and controlled – you have the best chance at coverage. If diagnosed later or you have complications, then the companies will see that as a riskier situation.
- What medication (if any) have been prescribed and taking for your muscular dystrophy? Your case might receive a Standard rating anywhere in the Medium to Severe range depending on your specific situation.
- Have any symptoms been experience over the past 6 months? Symptoms such as muscle spasms, muscle weakness, or a reduction in motor movement?
- Do you have additional medical or health issues? When there are additional health issues with you muscular dystrophy it can lead to a more severe case due to potential complications.
- Has your doctor provided you with a treatment plan and what is it? Are you following the plan?
- Have you had any labs or tests performed over the past year? These results will be looked at by the life insurance companies and may actually be beneficial depending on the type and result of the tests.
- Have you received a prognosis from your physician?
When a life insurance company gathers all of this information it is call underwriting. For some life insurance policies, you will need to take a medical exam. There are Non Medical life insurance policies and Guaranteed Issue life insurance policies as well. Each of them have their pros and cons.
How to shop for life insurance with Muscular Dystrophy?
So you’re now probably wondering, “How do I find a life insurance company that will offer me a policy with muscular dystrophy?” The most important factor in finding a company is working with an independent life insurance agent that has multiple companies available to you. Finding the companies that will offer you life insurance is a difficult task. Your agent needs to ask you the right questions and get to know your specific situation so they can research all the underwriting criteria. If an agent isn’t asking you the questions above and is just giving you a quote – You’re probably getting declined. This is going to make it even more difficult moving forward. You want to be sure you’re applying with a company that will give you the best chance at an approval with the best value. At LifeInsuranceBlog, we will get to know your situation and take the time to find the right life insurance companies based on your budge and goals.
Give us a call now at 888-411-1329 and let us help you find the coverage you need.
We hope our post, Best Life Insurance for Muscular Dystrophy was helpful. Please leave a comment or question below.