If you’re worried you can’t get life insurance with Crohn’s disease, stop that negative thinking right now. Even if a provider has declined you before, you still have a very real possibility of getting term life insurance coverage. We are here to work for you, and we will help you find a company that insures people with Crohn’s disease. Even better, we’ll help you find the best rates possible for someone with your preexisting condition.
In order to make the process easier for yourself, it helps if you know what to expect.
I have Crohn’s disease Can I get life insurance?
Keep reading for more details on getting life insurance with Crohn’s disease, but keep in mind that you can call us at any time.
What Are Life Insurance Companies Looking For?
It is true that not all insurance providers offer life insurance to those with Crohn’s disease or are willing to insure anyone with a pre-existing condition. However, working with our insurance agency can and will make all the difference when it comes to getting approved for coverage.
Click to read more about the top life insurance companies.
We have extensive experience finding the best life insurance rates for people with Crohn’s, and we know what insurance providers are looking for. Please be prepared to answer the following questions so we can get them the information they need to insure you:
History of Episodes:
- When were you diagnosed, and what was date your most recent episode?
- How many episodes have you had?
- How many episodes have you had in the last six months?
- How many episodes have you had in the last five years?
- What medications are you on?
- When have you taken them (dates)?
- What is the quantity taken (dosage amount)?
- How frequently do you take them?
- Have you ever been hospitalized for this illness? If so, when?
- Has your physician recommended surgery? If so, will it be completed and when?
- Have you had surgery? If so, please list the type and when it was performed.
- Have you ever been disabled due to your condition?
- Have you been diagnosed with any other medical conditions?
What Kind Of Rates Can I Expect?
What you pay for coverage is largely determined by life insurance health ratings.
Life Insurance Health Class Ratings
- Preferred Plus: With a diagnosis of Crohn’s Disease, you won’t qualify for Preferred Plus rates. These are the lowest cost rates available to life insurance shoppers.
- Preferred: These are the next best rates. It’s possible only in very rare cases. Your symptoms need to be in remission for at least 3 years and never cause you to be hospitalized. You’ll also need to show a perfect health record.
- Standard: Standard rates are typically the best possible rating for the majority of Crohn’s Disease applicants. Your symptoms will need to be in remission for at least 3 years and no hospitalizations. You are allowed to have exhibited mild symptoms with past flare-ups.
- Substandard or Table Rated: Most Crohn’s applicants fall in the substandard ratings. Your specific rating will be determined on your symptom’s severity and your age when you were diagnosed. Other factors include if you were hospitalized, required surgery, and if you are in remission or have chronic symptoms.
- Declines: It is possible that you can be declined coverage. The most common reasons are if you show signs of dysplasia on any biopsy results. If you show sclerosing cholangitis you can be declined along with recent hospitalizations. Of course if you have any other health complications in addition to your Crohn’s, that can also cause a decline.
If your Crohn’s disease is not that severe (you’ve only had a few episodes) and you maintain a healthy and active lifestyle, you may be able to obtain a Standard health rating.
- Standard Rates: A 35-year-old man seeking $250,000 in coverage for 15 years with a Standard health rating will likely be offered rates between $20 per month and $45 per month.
- Table Rated: Now, if you’ve had more than a few episodes, but manage to keep your condition under control with treatment, you will likely get a Substandard rating falling between 2 and 4.
- Table Rated: If you need to take frequent steroids, have had surgery and/or require surgery, your rating will likely fall between 6 to 8.
The more severe your condition, the higher your rates will be. You can, however, help keep them as low as possible by not using tobacco products and living a healthy lifestyle.
The chart below will show you how your rates increase with each health class rating.
|Rate Class / Risk Class||Pricing Result||Cost Rank|
|Preferred Best / Plus||50% of Standard||1 (Least expensive)|
|Preferred||63% of Standard||2|
|Standard Plus / Select||86% of Standard||3|
|Table 1 / A||25% over Standard||5|
|Table 2 / B||50% over Standard||6|
|Table 3 / C||75% over Standard||7|
|Table 4 / D||100% over Standard||8|
|Table 5 / E||125% over Standard||9|
|Table 6 / F||150% over Standard||10|
|Table 7 / G||175% over Standard||11|
|Table 8 / H||200% over Standard||12 (Most expensive)|
Crohn’s case study
We recently helped a client secure life insurance with Crohn’s disease. He was recently declined from a company and was worried he couldn’t get any coverage. He found us online and we started to research companies for him.
We sent out Quick Quotes to all the top rated life insurance companies and received back a wide range of offers as well as denials. We applied with the best offer and got him approved at Table 4 and he was extremely pleased to finally get coverage.
Applying for Life Insurance with Crohn’s Disease
SO — if you want to make sure you’re getting the best life insurance policy available, here’s what you need to do…
Do This Now
You’ll see our instant life insurance calculator where you will compare rates from dozens of the top companies.
Nothing too complicated, it just needs the basics about what you’re wanting, how much coverage, for how long, etc. That way we can understand your situation before we can help you.
Complete the calculator details as accurately as possible, and be absolutely sure your contact information is correct so we can reach you.
Here's what will happen next
Once you’ve filled out the calculator, one of our licensed life insurance agents will reach out to you to provide you all your options and plan out who will provide you the best rate based on your specific health and lifestyle.
All of the recommendations will be based off of the details you provide. It’s very important that you’re honest and answer your agent’s questions accurately.
This is where we really begin working to figure out exactly which company will get you the best rate, and how to make it happen. There are literally hundreds of companies and thousands of policy options available. We’ll make sure you get the best one.
So, What Next?
Even if you have been denied coverage in the past because of Crohn’s disease you may still be eligible for policies with other insurance providers. Sometimes, all it takes is working with an independent insurance agency. We have access to a variety of insurance carriers, and will work to find the one that best suits you and your situation.
To get started, give us a call today at 888-411-1329 or fill in our request form on this website. We will get in touch as soon as possible so we can determine your needs, and we will then work to get you the best rate possible for term life insurance with Crohn’s disease.
Thanks for reading our post, I Have Crohn’s Disease. Can I Get Life Insurance? Please leave a comment or ask a question below.